Creative Evolutionary Systems (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Artificial Intelligence)
- List Price:
- Sale Price: $65.99
- Amount Saved: $57.01
- Availability: Usually ships in 1-2 business days
- Used Book in Good Condition
The use of evolution for creative problem solving is one of the most exciting and potentially significant areas in computer science today. Evolutionary computation is a way of solving problems, or generating designs, using mechanisms derived from natural evolution. This book concentrates on applying important ideas in evolutionary computation to creative areas, such as art, music, architecture, and design. It shows how human interaction, new representations, and approaches such as open-ended evolution can extend the capabilities of evolutionary computation from optimization of existing solutions to innovation and the generation of entirely new and original solutions.
This book takes a fresh look at creativity, exploring what it is and how the actions of evolution can resemble it. Examples of novel evolved solutions are presented in a variety of creative disciplines. The editors have compiled contributions by leading researchers in each discipline.
If you are a savvy and curious computing professional, a computer-literate artist, musician or designer, or a specialist in evolutionary computation and its applications, you will find this a fascinating survey of the most interesting work being done in the area today.
* Explores the use of evolutionary computation to generate novel creations including contemporary melodies, photo-realistic faces, jazz music in collaboration with a human composer, architectural designs, working electronic circuits, novel aircraft maneuvers, two- and three-dimensional art, and original proteins.
* Presents resulting designs in black-and-white and color illustrations.
* Includes a twin-format audio/CD-ROM with evolved music and hands-on activities for the reader, including evolved images, animations, and source-code related to the text.
* Describes in full the methods used so that readers with sufficient skill and interest can replicate the work and extend it.
* Is written for a general computer science audience, providing coherent and unified treatment across multiple disciplines.
- Product Dimensions: 7.7 x 1.35 x 9.54 inches; 2.81 pounds
- Shipping Weight: 2.81 pounds
- ASIN: 1558606734
- Item model number:
- Average Customer Review: Customer Reviews