CORBA 3 Fundamentals and Programming, 2nd Edition
- List Price:
- Sale Price: $23.67
- Amount Saved: $31.32
- Availability: Usually ships in 1-2 business days
Building on a new component-based architecture, more robustJava and Internet integration, asynchronous invocation modes, and quality-of-service control, CORBA 3 makes distributed programming more powerful and productive than ever before. In this Second Edition of the bestselling guide to CORBA programming, an OMG insider shows architects and programmers how to make the most of all of these features.
Author and editor Jon Siegel:
* Starts with an overview of CORBA, including all of the features added
* with details of the Object Management Architecture's CORBAservices and CORBAfacilities, including specifications in the CORBAdomains
* Walks you through a tutorial presentation of a real-world distributed CORBA application working the same example on 11 ORBs in the key enterprise programming languages C++, Java, and COBOL
On the CD-ROM you'll find almost everything you need to build and run the example (except a computer, of course):
* The IDL files (identical for all ORBs and languages)
* All source code in C++ , Java, and COBOL
* Makefiles for every ORB discussed
* Sample ORBs and development environments
Dan Frantz, BEA Systems, Inc.
Patrick Ryan, Expersoft Corp.
Virgil Albaugh, IBM Corp.
Michael Cheng, IBM Corp.
Alan Conway, IONA Technologies PLC
Jim O'Leary, IONA Technologies PLC
Frederic Desjarlais, Inprise Corp.
David Gamble, MERANT plc
Martin Tonge, Peerlogic, Inc.
UML chapter contributed by Cris Kobryn, a coauthor of the UML specification and co-chair of the UML Revision Task Force.
MOF chapter contributed by Sridhar Iyengar, the principal author of the MOF specification.
Visit our Web site at www.wiley.com/ compbooks/
This text first offers a nicely comprehensive tour of CORBA, from the basics of Interface Definition Language (IDL), Object Request Brokers (ORBs), Portable Object Adapters (POAs), and built-in CORBA services, to an overview of the new CORBA domain-specific business objects (for areas such as finance and health care).
Throughout the early sections of the book, the book takes care to highlight new features of CORBA 3 for more experienced readers. But even if CORBA is brand-new to you, this title will explain what you need to know to get started--whether you use C++, Java, or even COBOL to write business objects.
Because CORBA is an open standard (defined with input from hundreds of vendors), it has always been something of a moving target. Particular ORB products may not implement every feature in the same way. The second half of this book looks at CORBA in the real world. First, the text surveys a half-dozen current CORBA products, and then provides an excellent case study (for a point-of-sale system in a grocery store) implemented in separate versions for C++, Java, and COBOL. Better yet, the book gives development and deployment hints for specific ORBs so you can run the sample code on your particular vendor's implementation of CORBA.
CORBA 3 Fundamentals and Programming is really two books in one: an excellent guide to basic and advanced CORBA, with special attention paid to new features in version 3, and a practical tutorial for building a small CORBA-based system. This book's a great choice for any software developer who wants to start using CORBA for real-world projects. --Richard Dragan
- Product Dimensions: 7.48 x 1.97 x 9.27 inches; 0 pounds
- Shipping Weight: 0 pounds
- ASIN: 0471295183
- Item model number:
- Average Customer Review: Customer Reviews
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Write a Reply or Comment:
You must be logged in to post a comment.