Books: New and noteworthy books – USA TODAY
USA TODAYÃ¢Â€Â™s Jocelyn McClurg scopes out the hottest books on sale each week.
1. A Piece of the World by Christina Baker Kline (William Morrow, fiction, on sale Feb. 21)
What itÃ¢Â€Â™s about: A novel that imagines the life of Christina Olson, the handicapped woman in Maine portrayed in Andrew WyethÃ¢Â€Â™s famous 1948 paintingÃ‚Â ChristinaÃ¢Â€Â™s World.
The buzz: This is KlineÃ¢Â€Â™s first book since her 2013 historical novel Orphan TrainÃ‚Â became a huge sleeper hit.
2. Humans, Bow Down by James Patterson and Emily Raymond (Little, Brown, fiction, on sale Feb. 20)
What itÃ¢Â€Â™s about: The robots have won the Ã¢Â€ÂœGreat WarÃ¢Â€Â against humanity (shades of The Terminator), but our heroine, a young woman named Six, refuses to capitulate.
The buzz: ItÃ¢Â€Â™s only February, andÃ‚Â the prolific Patterson already has had a No. 1 USA TODAY best sellerÃ‚Â this year with Never Never (on Jan. 26).
3. High Noon: The Hollywood Blacklist and the Making of an American Classic by Glenn Frankel (Bloomsbury, non-fiction, on sale Feb. 21)
What itÃ¢Â€Â™s about: Looks at the making of the iconic Western starring Gary CooperÃ‚Â and the blacklisting of screenwriter Carl Foreman during the McCarthy Era.
The buzz: Ã¢Â€ÂœHighly readable and fascinating,Ã¢Â€Â says Library Journal.
4. Dead Letters by Caite Dolan-Leach (Random House, fiction, on sale Feb. 21)
What itÃ¢Â€Â™s about: Thriller about a young woman who runs off to Paris, only to be lured back home to upstate New York when her twin sister goes missing.
The buzz: Ã¢Â€ÂœA smart, dazzling mystery with a twist Ã¢Â€Â¦ captivating,Ã¢Â€Â says Publishers Weekly in a starred review.
5. The Education of Will: A Mutual Memoir of a Woman and Her DogÃ‚Â by Patricia B. McConnell (Atria, non-fiction, on sale Feb. 21)
What itÃ¢Â€Â™s about:Ã‚Â An animal behaviorist is able to confrontÃ‚Â her own childhood abuse through her work with an adorable but troubled border collie puppy.
The buzz: Ã¢Â€ÂœAn uplifting story of hope,Ã¢Â€Â says Kirkus Reviews.
Write a Reply or Comment:
You must be logged in to post a comment.